Monday, December 1, 2008

51 facts

so, i meant to post 50 random facts about myself in honor of my 50th post on this blog. but...i just ruined that by posting about my thanksgiving update...so this post has now been changed to "51 random facts about me...)

this blog was originally started to journal about my little man, but it's evolved into more than that...so rather than gush about 50 things i love about griffin (which i'm sure i could come up with way more than that..), i'm just going to post 50 random things about myself.

maybe someday griffin will look back and understand where some of his crazy traits came from (let's just hope he doesn't follow in my footsteps on #3, 4, 5, 10 & 11....

51 random facts about me...


1. i am left-handed

2. i hate coffee

3. i used to charge the neighbor kids $1 each to look at playboy centerfolds

4. i charged the same kids .25 cents each to have a piece of my "candy" that i made. (it was really flavored chapstick that I cut into chunks and wrapped in saran wrap. i had chocolate, grape, root beer, strawberry and the kids thought it was candy, so i thought I should make some money.

5. when my parents and brother were gone one afternoon, i gathered up all of my brothers smurf collection and sold them to neighborhood kids. once they found out i had to go back and retrieve all of them and give them their money back.

6. clearly, my parents always told me i should be a sales person...i could talk people into doing anything.

7. i never could be a sales person because i'm scared of rejection.

8. i had a neurofibroma tumor wrapped around my spinal cord in high school.

9. i have no feeling in my neck, ears and head as a result. (i can still feel pressure, so dan doesn't get out of giving massages!)

10. i smoked my first cigarette in 6th grade

11. i drank alcohol for the first time in 7th grade

12. i would die if i found out griffin was drinking or smoking in the 6th or 7th grade!

13. i have lived in 5 states (indiana, virginia, illinois, wisconsin, minnesota)

14. i regret never getting a 4-year degree. i only have a 2-year associate degree. (i don't think i regret it enough to go back to school though...)

15. i love being griffins mom. it's the most rewarding feeling i've ever had.

16. i talk to myself in the car when i'm alone.

17. i also sing loudly in the car when i'm alone. but pretend i'm not singing when i pull up at a stop light next to someone.

18. i lose things easily (jewelry, sunglasses especially).

19. I NEVER take my wedding rings off, due to the above problem i have. the only time it's ever come off my finger is when it's being cleaned or when i was 8 months pregnant and it didn't fit.

20. i cry pretty easily, but don't admit it or i try and hide it.

21. i don't wash my face. never really have. but have only had the occasional zit in high school...otherwise my skin is clear and healthy!

22. i have spent thousands of dollars on products for my face...and always act like i want to try and do some great skin care regimen...but in reality...it's a waste of money, since i am fine with good old soap and water.

23. i only wear eyeliner and chapstick.

24. i hate knick-knacks. i even hate how it's spelled...

25. i love listening to the kqrs morning show.

26. i like to make up songs and sing them to griffin or dan.

27. i am a very organized person at work, but not at all at home.

28. my favorite band growing up was depeche mode. i still love them!

29. i love hollywood gossip.

30. i dream of being in a band...but have no musical talent, so that won't ever happen!

31. i want to protect my baby from mean people. i am so sad to think of how cruel kids (or people) can be to one another.

32. i know all of the lyrics to "it's the end of the world as we know it"...and whenever the band i used to be a groupie of would sing it (road trip), i would act all smug and excited and sing every lyric hoping people would notice how cool i was...

33. i hate my feet. and they kinda stink too.

34. i like my eyes (trying to spin a positive for each negative....)

35. i am quite sure that i would have a unibrow if i didn't pluck my eyebrows.

36. i tend to over-commit myself. i don't like to say no...so i pretty much tell everyone yes and end up stressing myself out at times!

37. i drink everything FAST. from water, to soda to beer...i drink very quickly. Good when it comes to water...bad when it comes to everything else.

38. cooking meat grosses me out. i do it occasionally, but i still think it's nasty.

39. carbs are my weakness. pasta, potatoes, rice, bread...i could live on that alone.

40. i get sentimental quite often.

41. i am a blog lurker. I regularly check about 15 blogs...but have never once posted a comment or made my presence known.

42. i am a planner. i try to act like i'm laid-back and fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-like...but in reality, i like to plan, like things to work out how i envision them and enjoy all that goes into executing the perfect plan. (whether it's a party, wedding, weekend, trip, exercise, etc)

43. i don't really like being alone. i know quite a few people need "me-time" or time alone...but i tend to get bored, anxious or stressed when i'm alone. i would rather be around family or friends.

44. in jr. high and high school, i racked up hundreds of dollars a month by calling my bff long-distance. my parents had to take the phones out of the house when they left (i solved that by buying a phone and plugging it in when they were gone), they had to put a long-distance block on the phone only allowing calls to be made if you knew the secret code (i spent an entire day working to crack the code and finally succeeded)

45. i love to travel.

46. i was once on a horseshoe league. (and pool too).

47. i learned to drive stick-shift before even having my license.

48. i can do the splits...but only with my right leg forward...not with the left leg forward. apparently when at parties, i like showing this party-trick. i've tamed that down in recent years though.

49. i used to be on a jump-rope team that traveled all over the country. i was really good and really enjoyed it...that is, until our coach was found guilty of child molestation...and the whole squad folded shortly thereafter.

50. i spent some time in belize for a "save the rainforest" project. and i let a tarantula crawl all over me! what was i thinking?????

51. when i was looking over this post, i probably should give my parents an apology for having to deal with me growing up...i was a big pain in the ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! There were a few things in there that I didn't know. Most of them are hilarious! and you do owe your parents an apology.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing my ass off at your 51 facts!! You truly have a talent with writting... seriously you should benchmark on this gift of gab you have! We are all lucky to have you in our lives. You do over commit yourself, yes you are disorganized outside of work, you tend to loose a lot of lil things, and it's obvious Griffin is your universe.. these are all things that make you JILL, and I love you even more for these traits! XOXO Julie