Thursday, September 25, 2008

RIP to the jeep...



well, it's been a good car.
the jeep first came into my life in 1990. my mom brought it home...it was all new, shiny and smelled of that new car scent.
i had my own car (1984 toyota celica), but it was much cooler to drive my moms car. plus...you could fit like 11 people in there. (i know...i've had that many in there).

it has seen some good times.
•driving a bunch of drunk people around the country roads of dane.
•seeing how fast it could go on woodland drive...while listening to the steve miller band.
•hauling my room full of stuff at my parents house out to my new house i was renting right out of high school.
• laying in the back looking at stars after concerts at alpine valley.

it's had a couple of accidents (me at the wheel for one of them), and my mom certainly had her share of good memories. it drove her to and from school every day. it took her across the country when my folks moved to canada. it brought her back when they moved back to wisconsin.
it has hauled duffy (and probably molly too) to various dog parks, trips, moves, visits to nursing homes.

then..2 years ago it came into dan's life as well. his car had blown on a family camping trip to wisconsin. my mom was finally going to let go of her baby after 16 years with her jeep. so...the timing worked out and dan and i became the proud owners of a 16 year old jeep.
it still has the american flag sticker and the canadian triple a sticker. (i think that would be double a)

we got 2 good years out of it. we added to my teenage memories and made memories for our own family.

those days are all over now. over 18 years...it's finally given up.

it's been a good run. we knew this day was near. at this point, we don't think we are going to replace her.
we may realize that we need to replace her, but for now we are going to try and make it work with our other baby. the 10 year old jetta.

fist things first...dan has to learn how to drive her. any volunteers? but it's high time. he wants to...lord knows i want him to.

so, we'll see how it goes. it will mean a lot more planning, biking (for dan), and coordination. we aren't sure how things will go when one person needs the car for a day or evening or weekend...but we'll figure it out.

we'll miss you, jeep. it's been a fun ride.

No comments: