Thursday, March 12, 2009

cake overload

so yeah...i have to obsess about something.
first it was taking a trip. every night i scoured every travel website looking for the ultimate deal. i would spend hours researching and comparing prices from site to site. then i would cross reference with trip advisor where there are unbiased reviews of the hotels. it got to the point that taking a trip wasn't even exciting anymore. i felt like i had already been to ixtapa, or puerto vallarta or riviera maya...just because i had researched the hell out of it. anyway - my trip dream was put to rest when dan's work has taken on reduced hours (and pay) in hopes of pulling through the economy.

so...what the hell do i do with my time after griffin goes to bed now???? clean? no. exercise? pfft. write letters, read books, start doing some of the hobbies i enjoy that i don't make time for anymore? or update this blog? no. i decide that i have to put all my efforts into making the perfect birthday cake for griffin.

what is our sweet boy into these days? trains - of course. so, i will build a train engine cake for him. but - it doesn't stop there. i have morphed my train engine idea into the full island of sodor. i think i'm biting off more than i can chew. but - my baby NEEDS a tunnel, a circus train car, an oil tanker and a mountain (all made of cake and candy). i have a vision. and tomorrow night - dan and i will be turning it into reality. unless we drink too much wine while decorating and wind up f'ing it all up. then we will go get a dq cake.
so, yeah. that's what i've been researching, thinking about and sketching each night. i hope i don't let myself down..i have such big ideas in my head!

other than my cake obsession - we have been keeping busy. we had our last night of music class this past week. it's been fun, and we will miss it...but i'm good and tired of all the songs. i hope we still get together with the group now and then for fun nights on tuesdays.

this past weekend dan and i celebrated his birthday with a great dinner out on friday night. it was fantastic. saturday dan went to see the watchmen at the imax with his friends. i had wine club (i mean - book club), and did a workout with my friends.

sunday we had a family day and went to the midtown market for lunch and to walk around. there was a woman playing her guitar and singing and g was dancing up a storm. she had a tip jar out so i gave grif a buck to put in her jar. he walked up there so cutely and kept turning around looking at me to direct him where to put the dollar. i was pointing and he walked right past the tip jar and dropped the dollar in the large garbage can. it was pretty humorous.

dan continues to train for his 1/2 marathon and i continue to barely make it off the couch for my training. but - it's going. i have had a bit of a cold off and on for the past couple of weeks, so that tends to be my excuse for my lack of energy. (couple that with the fact that i'm up till 2 in the a.m. thinking about my cake and i'm tired!)

this weekend my parents are coming to visit for griffin's birthday. he turns 3 on monday! my brother and family will come over for dinner and the train cake (or DQ cake...i guess we'll wait and see).

i swear we are going to finally take some photos and post them. we would be the worst parents ever if we didn't take picts for his birthday - so for sure we'll have some picts next week.

ok - gotta go get the mountain cake out of the oven...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is funny. Don't forget to get recordings of all the voices and bells so G can have an entire Thomas episode on his cake!!

kristine said...

The cake idea is awesome! I know what you mean about obsessing about things like that. I did the trip thing for a while. My thing lately has been schools (for myself) Thankfully it's something I need to be doing but unfortunately, I seem to over-obsess about it. I check, recheck, write down, re-write, type.. it's horrible...
I'm excited to see what you do end up with for a cake and how you put it together! I might have to come to you for some advice.